Thursday, January 8, 2009

Knit Two...

Last night I frogged the first of a pair of socks for the third time! Frustration!

Frogging for the uninitiated non-knitter refers to the "rrrriiiiippp" that takes place when you unravel knitting. It's not that it was such a complicated pattern, but just as I was about to turn the heel (the first time I had to rrrriiip), I discovered a dropped stitch about five rows down. Ordinarily, I could just knit it up using a crochet hook, but the pattern involved a k2tog and then knit into the first stitch...making a bit of a cable stitch. Not possible to do with crochet hook. I thought I might be able to just unravel down to the problem. Not possible!

The second time...I don't even want to talk about it!

Now the third time. I guess the pattern used more yarn than usual because about two inches above the heel, I became aware that I wasn't going to have enough yarn to make the sock tall enough for its intended owner. What to do?

My helpful husband suggested that I just continue and make it the length I wanted by using the second ball of yarn that I had reserved for the second sock and then use a different yarn for the toe/foot of the second sock. "It's going to be hidden in the shoe anyway, isn't it?" Who's to know...or care?

While I've knit many unmatched socks - almost anytime I use self-striping yarn, it tends to pool differently or I don't start with the yarn in exactly the same place, and the socks end up similar, but not exactly the same. But that's intentional - sort of. And they're striped. It's okay to have them turn out kind of funky. But these are dress socks. Sean will probably want to wear them to work. (Okay. I know he'll probably not take his shoes off at work!)

Well, I just couldn't do it. I rewound the yarn as I rrrriiippped...and have now started again. I am using a different yarn for the toe (as Ed suggested), but both socks will be the same - have the same "different" toe. A deliberate intentional difference.

I'm reminded of the time my aunt Teedy brought home a couple of lengths of navy blue serge that she'd found on sale. I can't remember for what occasion, but she planned to make me a gored dress - probably similar to something I'd seen Jane Powell wear in a movie.

She cut it out and sewed it up one night. In the morning when I tried it on, she and I both noticed that every other panel was black - not navy blue! In the dark they had looked the same, but in daylight that midnight blue was black. (Did you know that many men are unable to tell the difference - day or night!?) Fortuitously, it was every other gore, so it looked almost on purpose. It could have been worse.

Teedy, being creative in more ways than one, advised, "Just tell your friends this is the latest trend in Paris!" She did some fancy embroidery stitches that made the dress even more special - and more French-like. I loved that dress until I outgrew it and handed it down to a younger friend. Someone somewhere may still be wearing the dress - that serge would NEVER wear out!

No comments: